Friday, April 13, 2012

Movies that Make me Cry


I was watching a movie today further procrastinating my final exam studying and what not. This is a Korean film 오싹한 연애directed by Hwang In-Ho, the international title is Spellbound (not at all like the 1945 Alfred Hitchcock film)  The literal translation is Eerie Romance.






It is about a girl who can see ghosts and if she gets close to anyone they will be haunted too.  So she lives alone.  Despite the title and premise it is not a horror film, it is still a romantic comedy, but there are some pretty scary parts it is definitely not for children. 






Totally loved it, but I totally cried several times throughout. Just as she seems to having something good, it is ruined and still she perseveres and tries to be happy anyways. I really have a hard time watching people in pain, especially when I know they are good people.  So every time her pain is revealed, I cried a little. It is very cathartic. I know that she and her life are not real, but I do know that people all around the world who are good people and do everything they can to improve their lives may still fail and still feel overwhelming hurt.  I know it may seem ridiculous, but I have learned something about myself, I hate seeing people hurt. I just want to help them. I want to comfort them.  The funny thing is it isn't in movies that you would think. If people die, I don't necessarily cry

I know I am not alone in this feeling and I am grateful for all those wonderful people. 

Other movies that make me cry

Pretty in Pink


I still think she should have ended up with Duckie.



Ever After



Dan in Real Life

He finally thinks he has found this woman that he loves and he can't have her...you just see his agony. He has been in pain from loosing his wife and his one hope of relief is a woman who is off limits.


Becoming Jane


I have always loved Jane Austen and just seeing this portrayal of her life (not super accurate) just made me sad to think of how lonely she must have been. I believe she wrote about women in her approximate position, but with the happy ending that she never had for herself. 

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Seriously so freaking sad. This is just an entire movie of sadness.  

There are probably a lot more...I just can't think of them right now. I know there are several Chinese movies/tv shows I have cried in.  Alan is always really funny about my tears, he is always says something like, seriously Crys? This is supposed to be a comedy....haha oh well. 




1 comment:

  1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind honestly just tears me apart. Just thinking about it right now makes my heart break for them, even though they aren't real. I think anyone who's in a relationship can see little pieces of themselves in the characters and that's why we get so emotionally invested in it.

    ReplyDelete