Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hsinchu Adventure

Ok so maybe a month ago I went to Hsinchu to do some site seeing. Alan had decided he did not want to go out in the heat so I went by myself. It's cool. Whatever. 


Hsinchu is a city about 30 minutes outside of Xinfeng where we live. So it is really just a quick train ride away.

So first I rode my bike to the train station then bought my train ticket....yes I did it in Chinese, then I waited for the train.




Bye Bye Xinfeng



The Hsin Chu Railway station opened October 30, 1893. It has some beautiful classic architecture. Note the beautiful window below. 


Hsinchu has some pavered streets that I really appreciated.



Some beautiful Scenery on my little walk around town.


East Gate Circle (below)
Sometimes they hold concerts in the middle. Alan and I caught part of one last week. On the other side there is a pit like thing that is like an outdoor amphitheater. I didn't go across because there was to much traffic and I didn't see a cross walk or anything. But last week when Alan and I came back we found the tunnels that run underneath the road and lead to the gate. (that is an entirely other story that involves phones being lost and friends waiting for us at dinner.)


City God Temple- Built in 1748


So I was taking pictures of the temple when this guy comes up to me and tells me I need to give him $50NT (A little less than $2USD). Anyways, I think he is telling me I must pay in order to be there. So I give him the money thinking this is super strange request and wondering if I am understanding what he is saying correctly (my chinese is not super great). So I give him the money and continue to take pictures. Then I realize....that he isn't asking anyone else for money and that he was probably just begging from the white girl. Dang, such a touristy thing to do. Oh well, I don't mind sharing what little I have. I just wish I could have given it to him knowing that was going on. (I thought for a second maybe he wanted to take my picture for me and was asking to be paid for that, but when I really thought about it, he made no motions toward my camera to take a picture. He just took my money and walked away for a minute before coming back to sit outside.) It was just his postion next to the front entrance that looked so official. I thought maybe this temple was different...but now I realize...I was just being naive. 



Well friends that was my adventure....more to come...but maybe not until after I get back to the states...I have been so lazy about this all...Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates! I do enjoy hearing about your adventures and how things are going for you over there.

    ReplyDelete